View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
I too was going to try the gel packs by all the different companies out there but discovered on reading reviews that a lot of people found that the hydrometer didn't change when putting these things in the guitar with the hydrometer in a case.
I don't understand this - in fact I don't believe it. If I put 2 or 3 gel packs in my hessian contraption, it has a very clear, measurable, and significant effect on the relative humidity inside the case. Typically I change the packs when the RH rises just over 50%. The following day, after the change, the RH will have dropped back well down into the lower 40s, and then over the following days, it very slowly rises until replacement time comes round again.

Quote:
My hydrometer reads about 65% ish most of the time and my guitars are always in cases when not being played so to be honest i don't use anything
Have you measured the relative humidity inside your cases? The relative humidity in the room is no guide to the value of the RH in the cases. My cases are all nicely dehumidified now, but at the start of this experiment they certainly weren't, and the RH inside them (that is, with no gel packs) was well above 60%.

Quote:
in your first paragraph you stated your guitar was on a wall for 6 months! I'd be inclined to think that's where your problem came from rather that the wet conditions out side.
I'm not talking about the humidity outside (what would be the point?), but about the relative humidity inside the room where the guitars are kept. And yes, of course the problem arose because I'd hung the guitar on a wall in a room where (unbeknownst to me) the humidity was high (70-80%). That's precisely why I carried out the experiments described in this thread, and why it was essential for me to find a solution. But for sure, just putting the guitars in cases without a dessicant would not solve my problem.

Last edited by N+1; 04-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.