View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
As a disclaimer I am not in the Martin "camp" Nor in the Taylor camp. I own both brands as well as others...

But the truth is that Taylor shifted the paradigm of guitars sound and build. While some folks simplify it and say that Taylor guitars are "brighter", IMO that is an oversimplification. While some lower end Taylors and those with Cedar tops are brighter guitars overall, the higher end Taylors aren't generically brighter, but fuller and richer sounding with extended overtones and resultant harmonics. And Taylor guitars exemplify today's "modern" sound. And Martin is following suit- starting with the D28 redesign...
I have to wonder if Martin started this paradigm shift (or move to retro specifications?) in 2012 with the redesign of the iconic D18, merging the D18V and Standard Series D18. This current iteration of the D18 has been wildly popular over the last 6 years. About the only negative criticism I have heard is that some don't like the neck profile and taper. Admittedly, I was taken aback when I first picked one up. Playing up the neck felt odd and unfamiliar. I have grown used to it now. And I love the wider nut and scalloped, forward shifted braces, open back tuners, and traditional looking pickguard... all retro.