View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 AM

I had a similar budget when I started looking at 12s a while ago. I would say revisit Taylor and look for a used 354 or 355 - very easy playing 12 strings and solid wood too. May be some about without the ES if you don't want that sort of electrics. These can be had for under your budget, as can older used Guilds or the new ones coming out of China - search the threads here for the many happy owners especially of the all mahogany dreads. Yamahas also get a lot of love and if you don't mind a bit of mojo, you can pick up a used Gibson B45-12 or B25-12 within your budget.

What I would also say is try as many as you can in different wood combinations - 12 strings all sound very different. My first 12 was a Simon & Patrick, which I should have got set up, instead of selling it. Cedar & cherry has a totally different sound to sitka/mahogany, which is what my B45-12 is. Sapele might be related to mahogany but my Taylor 354ce sounds a completely different animal to my Gibson. And now my most recent 12 string addition, a Huss & Dalton in maple/Sitka (admittedly well outside your budget) sounds completely different. I think it was the sound I had in my head all along, but it has now got me thinking of trying a rosewood 12 too. Which is another warning I'd like to give you - 12s can be addictive, especially if you are a solo or bedroom player.

Good luck!