View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
If we had forty (50, 60 or 70) years, we could do a controlled test of several guitars (and/or any thing else) by recording them in a controlled environment. Then each year record them again using the exact same parameters - same strings, same room, same mics, same recording format etc etc. We could measure volume and forces required to attain a certain volume. Measure sustain, etc etc. After forty years we could listen to and examine the data for the forty different recordings to see if in fact the guitars sound/tone changed. Then we would know from a factual basis not a presumed basis.
Today is the 50th anniversary of me getting my first real wood guitar. PLYwood, but at least it was some kind of wood. I don't have that one any more. It was a horrible guitar, but a start. The oldest guitar that I currently have is an all lammie Alvarez that's a J-200 copy. I liked the way it sounded when I bought it new in '73 and I still like it. I was looking for a loud guitar that would make a good workhorse and I couldn't afford solid wood at the time. I DID finally get around to replacing the saddle with a bone saddle a few months ago and that "perked" it up a bit. It's a nice guitar. I've gigged a bunch with it and it's been a good friend. Being all lammie it's also been very consistent and forgiving.

I think some of my all solid wood guitars have "opened up" over the years, but that COULD just be me. I've bought a couple of all solid wood used dreads within the last year. They're both fairly new and one has clearly been played more than the other. Both are the same maker and model, just a year apart in age. The older one that has been played more is throatier and has a much more pronounced "presence" than the newer one. I'm waiting to see if the newer one "catches up" but I'm not holding my breath. Doesn't matter if it does, as I like the way they both sound, but I DO end up playing the older, throatier one more.

I've never bought a guitar on the speculation that it will sound better as it ages. If it sounds good now, it's probably going to sound good in forty or so years. If it sounds great now, same applies. I've never had a guitar so "sour" on me, but I HAVE become jaded and sold a couple.

Just my two bits.

Good thread, btw.