View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What do you do to prevent yourself from becoming more familiar with the feel and demands of the particular guitar over a period of 2,4, or 6 months?
I cycle through playing my other guitars.
I won't fool myself though as I really enjoy my new Jumbo. But my 855 and 815 and Fender beater have been around a long time and I thoroughly enjoying playing them.

Sometimes I'll play my 855 and not even touch my new jumbo for a week and vice-a-versa.

I hope this answered your question.

Quote:
There's a recurring thread on the Larrivee forum(maybe it happens here too), someone will post that they just got a new guitar and they like it but it lacks something tonally (sustain, low end, jangle, brightness, whatever) and they ask how will the sound change.
For example: 'My new OM-03R sounds great but it's a little weak in the low end, will the low end improve as it opens up?'.

Then a few days later they report back that it has improved. It doesn't seem to matter what the short coming is, the person always thinks it improves as they play it. Sometimes it's even things like intonation and string buzzing. And sometimes it's obvious why they experienced what they did, they'll say 'my new OM-03R sounds great but the low end sounds weak compared to my old Yamaha dread, will it improve as it ages?'. Most likely it's just a different sound that they aren't used to and as they play the new guitar more and the tone becomes more familar the bass doesn't seem so weak. Think about listening to an album for the first time where you can't make out half the words and a few weeks later after you figured the words out everything sung sounds clear.
As I continue this experiment, I try my best to be very conscience about that.
It's true, some days a particular guitar will sound very fine, then a few days later (change strings, don't change strings, etc.) not sound as fine. Kind of like good and not so good days.
That's why I went to recording so I could hear as objectionally as possible the tonal differences.
To be honest, I liked the way my new BTO sounded two months ago compared to now, but that may change as I listen to it again, but that is regardless. What I'm trying to notice is loudness, overtones, tonal range, sustain and color changes (bright, warm, dark).
It's exciting to say the least, to hear an instrument grow from day one.
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/

Last edited by M.D.Smith; 06-27-2009 at 11:10 AM.