View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

From what I can gather (and I may admittedly be wrong) on new guitars fresh from the factory the finish lacquer is still somewhat soft and thicker than it will be after a couple of months of curing. The finish will actually only be 1/2 of its thickness after a year. Also glue is stilll hardening....
First I have heard of this.
My understanding is the glue hardens soon after it is applied. Any "increase" in glue hardness is miniscule compared to the initial curing.
I doubt the finish loses half of its thickness.
If it did, you'd see the finishes on guitar tops shrinking left and right once you got the guitar home....grain ridges beginning to show up....finish checking.

Most brand new acoustic guitars will undergo changes in tone the first few weeks after they are strung up. "Waking up" I call it.
Small shops/custom builders often string up their new guitars and keep them around for a week or two to see how they sound..then make adjustments to them before letting them sit again and finally sending them out.

My understanding of this is it has to do with the fine structure of the wood adjusting to the newly applied stress of the strings. At least that's what several custom builders tell me.
Some guitars change more than others.
The way I see it, over time, some may change more. Some may not.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 06-26-2009 at 10:50 PM.