View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Martin D28 Kit, 32 years old

Hello, I recently acquired a 32 year Martin D28 kit. Still new in the box, with the shredded newspaper. It sat in a closet for all those years. I am going to make this my first attempt at building a kit. I understand this will be challenging. I have slowly been getting supplies, reading, watching instructional videos etc. This kit at the time, came with the spruce top mated togather already, sound hole cut and rosettes slot cut out already.

My question is, it appears the the wood has dried out for lack of terms. The sides are still holding their shape. No splits or cracks or warps, just maybe somewhere short of being "brittle". I have the wood now in a room with a humidity about 65%, to aid the wood untill I decide what to do next.
I understand I could get replacement woods. But I am inclined to complete this one, as it is my first. I am patience. I would welcome any suggestions, ideas, a hunch whatever to primp, prepare, the wood for a completion.

Reguardless, I will get a valuable learning experience, even if it disintegrates into dust, or is pretty decent sounding guitar. Thanks in advance.