Thread: Blackbird Savoy
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Blackbird Savoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks D. I know you played a number of composite guitars when you visited Mark, including the Savoy, so I truly appreciate your candor and sobering perspective. You’re right, it’s not an inexpensive proposition. In fact, in the wood world, the burst model (which I’m most interested in) is priced up there almost at the cost of a Taylor 814ce, which it can compete with on intimacy, but certainly not tone. Apples and oranges, I suppose. I love my Cargo. After 9 years with it, I recognize how good it is for what it is, and its tone strengths and weaknesses. I’ve been wanting to find a smaller intimate guitar that has the warmth of the Cargo, but with improvement in the tone weaknesses I’ve gotten used to. I don’t think the smaller Rainsongs or Emerald offer enough to overthrow my Cargo. I thought the Savoy might. Maybe, maybe not.

If you think the taylor 814ce would a competitor in the intimacy department then I would suggest at least playing a Rainsong CH-OM. The RS has a smaller body than the taylor and the RS is half the cost of the savoy. The Savoy definitely has a tone all to its own. I happen to love it. It's probably not for everyone.