View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 AM

At some point, I might actually like to have the HOG, as the budget might allow.

I'm actually running a three-way split of my dry signal, though I'm still experimenting with the point and means of the split. The third line is running to an EXH SuperEgo. Since it sort of provides some similar functions, the HOG could possibly replace both the OC-3 and SuperEgo, but I'm fairly happy with this arrangement.

The dry signal is going through a Rane AP-13 preamp and/or then to a recently acquired Avid Eleven Rack, which serves double duty for my electric guitar, with the same effects setup. The FX loop of the 11R is run through a Vox ToneLab LE, which is serving partly as MIDI controller for the 11R, but also to add a couple of extra FX that the 11 doesn't support, notably "Hold Delay", which I use quite a bit...with the volume pedal controlling the delay input.

The first signal split is off one of the Tonelab's stereo feeds, running through the OC-3 and terminating at the SuperEgo. Separate lines are running from both the octave out and the SuperEgo FX send back to the individual inputs at the mixer, where they are processed via an aux send to a Lexicon MPX-100. The 11R also gives me a stereo signal to the board. My looper is fed via the post-aux send and back into it's own mono channel.

Sounds sort of complicated, to be sure, and I'm always trying to remove or combine functions. In this case, its nice to have a midi controller and the Tonelab is serving adequately, providing a volume pedal, tuner, additional delay, a good uni-vibe (though the 11R has one too), etc.

I've worked with several Presonus mixers and the on-board compressor can definitely be useful. I run my stuff through a DBX drive rack to powered 10" Yamaha speakers, mostly. The DBX provides overload protection and additional EQ options that you should be able to do on the Presonus, I think...does it have a limiter? But, most of the time I don't bother to roll the bass off, but it depends on the circumstance. The K-8's should be fine, you'll just lose a little more bottom.

Down the rabbit hole

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha