View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi Einziger171,

The Yamaha FG-730S is a well built and very nice sounding guitar. You cant go wrong with that one if it is what you are looking for.

Some other suggestions...

Seagull Entourage Rustic : Very well made guitar. This guitar should be on everyone's short list if they are looking in this price range. The Entourage Rustic has a Solid Cedar top. The Cedar will sound a bit different then a Spruce top (like the Yamaha). So, I would try one, see if the tone is more pleasing to you.

The Yamaha FG-730S and the Seagull Entourage Rustic are both Dreadnaught sized guitars. If you are looking for something a bit different in size, then I would recommend these two.

Yamaha FS-720S : The FS-720S is another great Solid Spruce-topped guitar for the money, but it is in a "Folk" size. The smaller size may appeal to you. Not as much bling as the FG-730, but a nice guitar all the same.

Washburn WG16S: The Washburn WG16S is another Cedar topped guitar. The Grand Auditorium size is almost the size of a Dreadnaught, but it has a thinner waist. For me, I find this size much more comfortable. Has all the bling the FG-730S has (and then some, lol). I have the electric/acoustic version of this guitar (with cutaway) and I like it much better then my FG-730S, if I'm being honest (I like the size better, and I found I like the sound of Cedar better as well).

There are many more out there as well, and I'm sure more people will chime in with some suggestions. I think the FG-730S was hard to beat not to long ago.. but other companies stepped up their game and there are quite a few nice guitars to be had in that price range these days.

Good Luck!

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian