View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Did you already buy it? If so, congrats, it sounds like a good pairing. But when it comes down to microphones, for an individual voice, it all comes down to is this mic right for this voice. If it doesn't suit your voice hopefully they will have a liberal return policy. Although many people rag on the TLM series microphones, I'm a fan. I own a pair of TLM103s along with many more costly Neumann mics. And I have used the TLM49 and I like it! If it doesn't suit your voice there are many good options in that price range and some below, but if you go that route remember that Neumann has more experience, and consistency when it comes to building capsules than all of the budget microphones out there. That's their forte'!

I also like UA mics preamps, but I think you mean the 610? I have two LA610s, which I think are the same pre coupled with a tube compressor, and I like them very much. One thing to remember with these preamps is that the gain control also affects the amount of negative feedback in the signal which most people would describe as the warmth (musical distortion). Keeping that gain control lower will give you a nice clean signal for when you need that. I good way to learn what that pre is doing is to record a very clean vocal without it then run that recording through it and play with the Gain and Output knobs. I find that much easier to do than rotating the gain while singing. And remember there are no absolutes when using the impedance switch, try both settings with each microphone you throw at it. And another big advantage to the 610 is that it is a great DI for guitars, bass, and keyboard.

Have fun!!!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-21-2017 at 04:41 PM.