Thread: Your first gig
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blvdnap View Post
When did you know you were ready to play and sing on stage? How did you approach the bar/coffeehouse owner? How long was your first performance? Start with open mic nights? I'm thinking about making the leap, and happy to learn about your experience.
Every Saturday when I was 18 I'd take my laundry to a small neighborhood laundromat. I'd bring my guitar and play while sitting on one of the clothes folding counters. The patrons were mostly ladies who were regulars like me. We became pretty close after about 6 months. I'd learn and sing songs they requested as well as the songs I liked. Obviously it wasn't a gig but it did give me my first experience for publicly playing and working with an audience. That was 1973/4.

Regarding the bar/establishment side of it, I owned a bar and grill a couple years ago and live-auditioned people before giving them a time slot at my place. Many who approached me had recordings they could leave but I preferred the live audition process of selection. I'd been burned a couple times by people who had their work studio-polished because their live work did not come close to the recordings in quality. The auditions were as we could mutually fit them in. Sometimes it was in the parking lot of the bar. Other times it was at a local park. A couple times I was invited to their homes. I played at my bar but only upon request when my patrons wanted me to get my muse on. I also jammed with a couple of the players when asked. It was a fun time but that kind of lifestyle is pretty draining so I sold and moved on.

Last edited by Pitar; 12-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.