View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 02:46 PM

I own one. I bought the basic model, used. It's kind of cool for what I have used it for -- primarily as a complementary instrument in sit-around jam sessions and being able to work on guitar fingerings while travelling. If you want a mandolin, buy one. This ain't it.

Specific limitations include, as Mr. Hampton noted, a lack of sparkle on the bottom strings; hard to find strings for the basic model, except the not-real-great-sounding loop end strings Gold Tone sells, which are expensive ($11 plus shipping). I tried Gypsy Jazz strings and they buzzed terribly. You can buy the deluxe model which has a bridge that accepts ball-end strings or just buy that bridge, but the deluxe model is expensive and, despite having a compensated bridge, MUCH better fit and finish and a decent built-in pickup is probably not worth the extra investment.

On the plus side, playability isn't too bad, though the neck is non-adjustable. The nut is reasonably wide (I haven't measured it, but it's way wider than a typical mando) And the sound of the high strings isn't bad. I was real tempted to buy a Veillette Gryphon, which is tuned to "D" and probably fantastic build quality. They have a down-market Avante import that is still probably a lot better than this Gold Tone, but costs more than a grand new.

Manage your expectations and these can be fun. Mine cost me $225 used, with a couple of dings on it already. It was worth the money.