View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I had one of these too with an upgraded Warehouse speaker and Mercury Magnetics iron and I still couldn't bond with it. Yes, it was light years better than the little AC4 but it still didn't sound very good to my ears. Plenty loud, for sure, but seemed to fall short in both the clean chime and the driven crunch, what I look for in a Vox amp. And it felt too compressed, I think due to the cabinet size being small(er) than an AC15/30. YMMV, of course.

I think I'm at the point where I've learned that 80% of an amp's tone is in the cabinet and for me personally, I don't like small cabinetry. I'd prefer a Vox Lil' Night Train or Mesa/Boogie TA-15 into a proper, quality 112 or 212 cab for Voxy low-watt bedroom playing.
Fair enough, they are not for everybody, but a lot of us love them, and I wouldn't expect it to sound like an AC30.

BTW, I have a 4x10 cab setup with Webers (10A125, 10F150, Blue Pup, Silver 10), and I can play any two speakers at once, so no boxyness there.

And while I agree with you on the limited clean chime, IMO this amp has more than enough overdrive.

Finally, it is a perfect grab-and-go amp for jam sessions with the bros. Try that with an AC15.