View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberch View Post
Try a K&K Pure preamp. You may just decide a mic is not worth the hassle.
Hi David,
It's not a mic I'm trying to wire in. The mini jack that is connected to the tip and ground is for a Sunrise magnetic sound hole pickup. I do like the way the K&K sound in the CA by themselves. I also like the way a Sunrise sounds in there so the goal is to get both in there. As for the K&K preamp, I bought a Pendulum SPS-1 this spring so my preamp buying days are over. At least they should be! :-)

As for this on-going saga, the guy that I was hoping would look at the jack in the CA guitar isn't around. Not being able to leave well enough alone, I pulled the jack out to take a look. All of the connections looked fine. The only thing I noticed was that the guy who did all of this didn't clamp those little wings over the cables. I think those exist so that if there is any pulling on the cables the pressure goes to those little wings and not the soldered parts. So I got out some needle nose pliers and clamped those down.

Just to keep testing, I unplugged the Element from the iMix and I used a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter to try the Element in the 3.5mm jack. It worked perfectly and the output was the same as the K&K! I tried the Sunrise with the cable extension (the one with low output that started all of this) again and it still had very low output. I then pulled the other Sunrise out of the other guitar and tried in in the CA. It worked perfectly! Good tone and same output as the K&K!

I quickly put the other strings back on the CA, tuned it up and tried it out with the Pocket Blender. It works just fine. Good tone from both the Sunrise and the K&K. Since I had tested the Sunrise with the cable extension in the other guitar, I put that in the other guitar and tried that out. That works too! The overall output of the two guitars is different (CA output is less), but in each guitar, the output of the Sunrise and the K&K's are the same.

How can this be? I'm happy that everything seems to be working but I'm suspicious too. Is there any reason that the Sunrise with the cable extension would work in one guitar and not the other? Should I be concerned that the output of the CA is lower than the other guitar?

Thanks again for all the help!
Matt