View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 AM

If you're happy with what you have, then stick with it! But I'd also suggest that you keep playing alot of different guitars, in different price ranges and with different wood combinations. (It's a difficult task, but somebody has to do it!

It takes time to train your ear to hear the differences, especially between guitars with different tonewoods. In the store, play in an isolation room if you can--away from the noise. I also have the salesperson play the guitars so I can hear how it sounds directly in front of the soundhole.

For me, cheaper guitars generally feel less solid and sound thinner. Quality builds have a wider range of tone (fuller bass, clear mids, and highs that don't drop off) and feel more solid. These guitars also tend 'sing along' more--you'll feel the back and top responding to your playing.

Over time, you'll find yourself going back to a particular guitar or series or wood combo...one that feels and sounds right...or maybe 2 or 3 that sound right...

Have fun and stick with it! I've been playing for over 25 years and I'm still figuring it out...and that's the fun part!