View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I'd suggest to just dig in and start playing it! Try it on different types of songs, although the classic 12 string tunes are a lot of fun to play.

12 string guitars are incredibly satisfying to strum! All those strings produce a sound that a good friend of mine once called "God's own chorus effect", and he wasn't wrong!

The paired courses, especially the lower register, have a lot of power, more so than just one string... check out playing songs and adding a bass line to them...

More than anything, just PLAY! Have a blast with it. The more you play it, the more familiar it will become. These days, I can't handle playing my 12 string for more than a song or two, but there have been times in the past where I've started a set with a 12 string tune and ended up playing the entire set on 12 string! Sometimes, it just feels so right, you know?

Here's one tip for you: when you turn the guitar, damp/mute ALL the other strings while tuning one at a time. If you let everything ring out, it's very difficult to get the thing in tune! Especially using a modern tuner... I have known a few folks who can tune them by just listening to everything at once, but that approach has never worked for me, other than minor tweaks here and there.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman