View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

I recently got a Martin GPC-18E and thoroughly enjoy its acoustic tones; the Aura VT Enhance is another matter. The Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system looked good to me on paper and prior to buying my guitar I auditioned a Martin OMC-18E in a local store and found the system to be very mid-rangey and trebly, especially when engaging the Enhance soundboard transducer. I went ahead and ordered my Martin GPC-18E hoping it would have more bass resonance, which it does, acoustically, but the Aura VT Enhance system is still rather mid-rangey and trebly. In my opinion, with all EQ flat on a mixer, and only using the guitar's onboard EQ, the amplified tone is barely passable. The Aura VT Enhance system needs the additional EQ capabilities of a mixer, amp or outboard preamp/EQ to get a good amplified tone. View my "NGD: Martin GPC-18E Aura VT Enhance" thread here.

I sent an email to Martin inquiring about if there are any switches or trim pots on the endpin preamp that can adjusted to increase the bass-frequency output of the Enhance transducer. I never received a reply.

My advice is to add in just enough of the Enhance soundboard transducer (25% max) to get some of its top and body resonance into the mix with the Matrix/Aura section of the system. I actually ordered a new Tusq saddle and fitted it because the Tusq saddle that came in the Martin leaned forward a bit too much for my liking. This is typical of the way Martin installs it saddles for UST usage. I like my saddles to be just a bit smaller in thickness than the saddle-slot so they don't lean but are easily removed with the fingers.

Another possibility is that you're getting what I call "string ping" or the "sitar effect" on your D-string. It's the tinny overtone you may be hearing--even without amplification--that emphasizes the D-string in the mix, especially when coupled with the mid-rangey and trebly characteristics of the Enhance. This can likely be eliminated by shaping the top of the saddle behind where the D-string passes over it and comes down the rear of the saddle's top. I think I've noticed "string ping" or "sitar effect" occurring on the D-string and G-string much more often since the introduction of compensated bridge saddles, regardless of material used, and brand of guitar.

I think the potential of being a really good pickup/preamp system exists in the Aura VT Enhance but may be realized with some tweaking or updates from Martin/Fishman. I hope the above helps in resolving your concern.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-10-2017 at 06:13 AM.