View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM

I like the way Taylors are voiced for jazz stuff, actually...I picked up one last fall--much lower price bracket, but Taylors do have an aesthetic of sound that carries across their price ranges. Their playability is also top notch--they're obviously made with folks who do more than strum chords in mind.

If I were having a guitar built, I'd strongly consider a Spruce top and a Maple back and sides. I like the crispness and sometimes "in your face" qualities of maple for jazz...Maple guitars definitely seem to lose less oomph between chords and single note lines...alternatively, if you're really getting out there, consider an arched back. There's a reason archtops rule for jazz...why not take a little of their form and function and inject a little flattop sensibility as well? I wondered who'd make me one like that?

Oh, by the way, Selmer Styles (particularly a long scale D hole, but all of them, really) are waaaay more versatile than folks think. Capable of quiet beauty as well as the bold gypsy jazz sound. Check out Boulou Ferre if you don't beleive it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz