View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Tour

Just caught Jackson Browne's solo acoustic show down in Bakersfield last night. What a feast for acoustic guitar lovers. He had 17 guitars on a rack center stage, directly behind him.

He uses the Trance Audio Amulet system in his guitars, and I now understand why. Absolutely glorious amplified tone in every instrument.

The vast majority of the guitars were Gibsons. I was slightly (very slightly) disappointed in the new J.Browne model Gibson. To my ears it was not the star of the show. To me, the pick of the litter was a Martin D-41 (sunburst, which I've never seen before on a D-41).

Great show. He's a wonderful song writer with a vast catalog of material. He claims to not be working from a set list, instead just picking tunes off the top of his head, and then hunting for the right guitar (or electric piano) to play on that tune. Great singer, although his voice seemed a little raspy. And pretty darned good guitarist as well. Obviously no one is going to get to hear all of their favorites, but it was a very generous 2 1/2 hour show, and I doubt anyone walked away feeling less than satisfied.