View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM

1. How many mandolins do you own? What kind are they?

- currently none (sold my first and only one a few months ago) ... Octave Mandolin (Gold Tone OM-800+) on order. My first was a Washburn A which was a very good starter Mandolin

2. How did you get started playing mandolin?

- I played in Bluegrass bands when I was a teenager (many years ago). During that time I messed around with many acoustic instruments. About 7 years ago, I decided I wanted to be more proficient with instruments other than guitar and I started with Mandolin. Already knew some chords so I bought a book of old fiddle tunes with Mandolin tabs.

3. What was your first mandolin? Do you still own it?

- Washburn Sitka/Walnut A style ... no, sold it to my oldest son so it is still in the family and I can play it from time to time. My old hands tend to fatigue quickly on a standard Mandolin so I have an Octave on order. Should be in sometime in August.

4. What style (or styles) of music do you play on mandolin? Where do you use it? (In a bluegrass band, at church, in a country band, at home strictly for fun, etc.)

- Bluegrass, Folk, Rock, Country ... I still enjoy the old fiddle and traditional tunes most ... I have played at church and home ... hope to start playing with some other musicians that I met when I played guitar recently at a benefit if we can find some time to get together ... hope to play out more with various instruments

5. Who are your favorite mandolin players? Do you try to play like them, play any of their compositions, or do you just admire one or more aspects of their playing?

- Sam Bush, Chris Thile, Doyle Lawson and others. I have learned some of their compositions but certainly cannot come close to exact emulation ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!