View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I've had a number of players tell me to just feel it and do it. Hasn't worked for me. If you can do it by feel, that's great. I need to understand the mechanics / theory / principle behind the strum (or other technique), slow it down, and then it works for me.

After I've done that for a while I get the "feel" for it, I wish it could play out more easily for me but alas that's how I learn.
The problem is the English language doesn't really have the right words to describe that "feeling". I recently found my inner groove, and now when people say you need to "feel" it, I understand exactly what they mean. Whether I could describe it is another thing.

Once you hone this state of mind (or feeling), and practice, it gets easier and easier to lock onto it.

the only thing I can say, is if you are thinking about where to place notes it will sound mediocre. Groove comes from a subconscious place, so you can't think about it like you would a logical problem. It's more like walking or breathing - it just happens.