View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
You might try posting your question on the DIY board at this site. There seem to be a lot of folks there who have experience with that sort of problem.

I've never attempted the kind of repair that you are describing, but wonder if there would be any problem with the dowel idea. If you were to make a plug with a dowel, you'd probably be drilling into the end grain (of the dowel) rather than across the grain. Would that be a problem? I don't know.
That's no problem whatsoever. I've used the dowel/epoxy method twice in just the past few months. Once was for a recoil pad on my shotgun stock where the existing hole had been stripped because I overtightened the screw when I put the pad back on.

The second time was when I had to move the striker plate on my door jam on the door leading from the utility room to the garage. Since I was moving the plate only about 1/8" to 3/16" I needed to fill the two existing holes completely so that I could drill two new holes for the new screws to fasten securely into.

In both of the above instances, drilling out the old hole and epoxying in a short piece of dowel rod worked perfectly. If anyone has doubts about how well the epoxy will hold, erase those doubts. I have (and still use) some golf clubs that I assembled with epoxy nearly 15 years ago. The clubs still work great......... provided I do my part right.