View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
The spaced pair felt a little too separated. Hinting the guitar was no longer a single instrument. That left the sound stage feeling a touch empty in the center. This may work well with vocals.
The AB setup could be adjusted with less distance between the mics or positioned a little farther back from the instrument, of course. The "hole in the middle" is certainly something to watch out for.

Quote:
In fact I'm just experimenting with this sort of concept. I'm using MS with the side set wide field to capture the guitar and the mid for vox. The trick I'm trying get down is all in the balance. I'm finding Mic placement to be especially critical since I'm trying to do it as a guitar/vox in a single take.

I'd love to hear a MS and Blumlein in the comparison (since I love the technical aspects of these methods but have limited experience using them.) of corse the room becomes more critical with these methods and they certainly are less popular...maybe for good reason.
I did a blog post comparing Blumlein and MS some time ago, when I briefly had a Zoom H4n and was surprised to find an MS decoder included in the features: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/ This comparo probably won't provide much useful info though.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog