View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonian View Post
I have a guitar with the piezo USTs, and am interested in finding a good external preamp that can do the things we all need when using this type of pickup....I'd like your feedback on experiences with what is available.

1) Paramount is removing the negative qualities of the 'piezo tone' and having it sound more like a guitar.
The biggest reason piezo's sound bad is an impedance mismatch. Piezo output impedance is in the megohm range. Most PA channels are looking for 1 kohm. That's one-thousandth of a megohm. A DI or preamp is needed to match the impedance. IF you are plugging in to a HI Z (high impedance) input on a PA or amp it does the impedance match for you.

UST's are inherently more prone to distortion than piezo transducers you mount under the soundboard (SBT's like K&K or JJB). This is because the downward force of the strings on the saddle keeps the the UST in a constant state of strain, even when you're not playing. You will get better tone with SBT's vs UST's.

Quote:
2) DI line out is a nice-to-have.
I don't understand the question. Every preamp or DI has an output to go somewhere. Are you asking about a second output possibly bypassing the preamp/DI output? Why would that be desired? Or do you mean you want an XLR output?

Quote:
3) Phantom powered is a nice-to-have.
Yes it sure is.

Quote:
4) Effects and guitar models aren't necessary, but I won't kick them off the list if they are included in the right unit.
5) All else being equal, simpler is better.
These two criteria are in direct opposition to each other. I pick simple over features every time. The more you cram in a box the more can go wrong. Looking thru your list, the Redeye covers most bases. Its the best sounding preamp I've used. It has an XLR output and a send/return loop for effects and other boxes. It runs off 48 V phantom power or 9 V battery. It is dead simple.