View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper59 View Post
hi every1. new here and love the gc series taylors. I currently have a Gibson j35 but find I need a smaller guitar because of old age lol. I have always love mahogany guitars and have owned a few of the 15 series. I have been thinking of trading the gibby towards one of the 300 series gc[ think it would be the 320 series]. I guess I just want to know how the sound compares of the mahogany taylors to the 15 series of martins. I know they wont have the martin sound but do they have the woody sound that the 15 series do? thanks By the way going to see james taylor at dte theater tomorrow. going to be a great concert but calling for thunderstorms all night and we have the first row not under the roof. still will be a great concert.
Have fun, cooper. I saw JT at the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago with the Steve Gadd Band backing him up and yeah, he's all that.

I'm a Martin guy myself, but I played a 500-series Taylor on a trip to Seattle recently and the guitar practically exploded the minute I strummed it. If you want an in-your-face guitar with all the sizzle and snap hog can deliver, the 500-series is your huckleberry. 300- and 400-series Taylors sounded muted to me compared to the 500s. I also played some 15-series Martins at LA Guitar Sales recently and they definitely had that warm and woody Martin sound I personally crave. So here's my advice.

If you're a singer-songwriter who uses a guitar primarily to accompany your vocals, get the Martin. If you're a rhythm guitarist or a soloist in a band and you need your guitar to cut through the mix, get the Taylor.

PS: Before you buy either one, do yourself a favor and audition a Performance Artist series Martin with Rosewood sides and back. Do NOT be persuaded by Martin's marketing hyperbole that the Performance Artist series is primarily designed for gigging musicians. As far as I'm concerned, it's designed for people with ears. If you're like me, you might find it to be the best of both worlds at a stupid-affordable price.

Last edited by bld522; 07-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.