View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
This actually ties in a lot with what I think too - I'm not enamoured with loads of effects for their own sake. It's more a)just for fun b)to deepen my knowledge - it's nice to know what the tools at my disposal are.

I definitely don't want to "copy and paste" in a load of stuff at the cost of technique or my own sound.
The only problem is that being able to pull off Steve Cropper-esque technique with a tele through a blackface doesn't do didley when it comes to riding the lightning with a high gain metal amp.

There are specific techniques required to get the most out of effects that the "guitar through amp" guys can't do. Bad wah is awful. But great wah? Do you know how hard it is to play great wah? Do you think Pete is picking the same way at the beginning of Who are You as he is in My Generation? Could he get that sound without a volume pedal and a compressor regardless of how he picked?

Just like I mentioned with Nile Rodgers above. If you dismiss what is commonly called Disco, it just means you don't know the genre. Because there is great playing in the background on a lot of it. Listen to Robert Palmer's Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (you can call it blue eyed soul if you want to instead of disco). The whole album. It's a master class on Rhythm guitar. As is everything Nile ever produced.

You have to sound good through a clean amp alone. You can't polish a turd with effects. But it goes both ways. you also can't just plug that type of playing into effects without experience and not sound like a turd