View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I agree that the effects and display would be more than what Zoom would want to routinely demand of a typical PA mixing board. Some of the other pres like the Para DI are indeed designed to run on phantom power, although they generally don’t have multi-effects capabilities.

The Zoom A3 requirements can’t be a 1000 ma, since their supplied A.C. adapter only supplies a maximum of 500ma, and the manufacturers always try to stay well away of warming the wall wart. The Fishman Aura, an equally capable processer, lists 25 ma as it’s average operating current, with effects to boot. I would like to know what the A3 current draw is, though.

Supplying phantom power to the microphone wouldn’t be an issue either, as the IEC standard requires no microphone to consume over 10 ma, and most operate at a 2 to 5 ma current consumption on phantom power. Most boards have no problem supplying a 48 volt rail to a minimum of 12 condenser microphones simultaneously. I worked with board level electronics for my entire working carrier so I’m pretty familiar with what gear is capable of.

I’ll definitely agree that they are probably trying to stay on the conservative side of what they require of the mixing board, though.

I just wish it was a LITTLE more perfect, though! I've been using a digitech RP200 combined with a DI for years, so I'm used to using the A.C. supply, but one can always hope...
Yeah the Adapter list 500 ma on it and it gets hot while in use with 3 effects loaded , On the meter mine is adapter puts out 675 ma open circuit ( No Load )

But the reverbs alone are power hungry effects on any board , add to it multi effect ability , Phatntom supply would simply never work .

( Stupid Comment redacted ) ( My Meter was already set at 9 Volts , but in my Head I was thinking 5 volts , My Apologies )
Eneloop makes a 9 Volt Lithium Battery pack for effect pedals , That would be really clean power too . No AC ripple at all .

This one
http://us.sanyo.com/eneloop-9V-power/Pedal-Juice-0153-

Last edited by Repair Dude; 01-28-2013 at 05:09 AM.