View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM

That's great Banker, give 'em more!

I'd like to play open mics but we don't have any in our city of nearly 400,000, pretty sad huh? There used to be 4-5 per week at different venues a few yrs back. I'm a little shy & nerves get to me a bit but that's overshadowed by a desire to share the music (definitely not showing off, I'm not that good). I just enjoy doing it.

Anyway I just make my own open mics, been taking my old Suzuki J200 to the pub on the occasional thursday nights & sunday afternoons and playing a few songs in the beer garden/smoking area. I always play a lot worse there than I do at home & are more likely to forget lyrics & make mistakes but am gradually closing the gap. It also comes with me on every camping trip (at least 6-7 times a year).

Whatever happens the people there (mostly friends) are really appreciative & a few comment on how nice the tone of the guitar is (I'm thinking "are you kidding? this is an old POS", nevertheless accept the comment & smile back, thank you.....). I don't think most of them are into analysing the tech aspects of the guitar or my error rate anyway. A lot of the time they're singing along & enjoying themselves & it's rewarding for me to be giving them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiabixby View Post
Like today, the nice guy across the street is here for the weekend and he came over to say that he and some of his musician friends will gather in the driveway, "come on over", he said, and "bring your guitar".
Hi lydiabixby, maybe if you just hang in the background & strum along, let them know you're a novice at performing with others & I'm sure no one will expect you to lead or solo. You might find some of them are willing to help or assist you, perhaps you may make some contacts to play with, if nothing else gaining valuable experience playing along in a group setting. Who knows, could be a turning point for you. All the best.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200