View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM

There is NO way that the change in humidity going between a case and the room would crack a guitar. Not a chance. People seem to confuse the temperature issue (cold to warm too quickly). 35% RH is unlikely to crack a guitar that was built of properly seasoned wood in a climate controlled environment.

An acquaintance of mine is a well-known (in these parts) electric guitar builder. I approached him regarding an acoustic build, and he flatly refused, apologetically. He explained that he didn't have, and didn't care to invest in the climate control (temp and humidity) that his shop would need to produce reliable and long lasting acoustic guitars. I thought that was very professional of him, really, although I've seen the guitars he's built for himself and would really like one for myself.

I guess what I'm getting at (without pointing fingers at the builder) is that if the guitar was built in higher than ideal humidity conditions, or of inadequately seasoned wood ... the time spent at 35% RH might have been enough of a differential to cause problems.

My cases here are now reading 40-45%, using Oasis humidifiers. I'm adding some sponges in bags to bring 'em up a little.