View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I was merely describing a guy who thinks too micro and a guy who thinks too macro, with no specific references to anyone.
And you consider that to be fair banter not directed toward anyone personally. I said pretension and self indulgent thinking are common at all levels, without even bothering to carve out an exception for myself in the "virtuous middle", and evidently my (admittedly cutting) example of the other kind of pretension aside from the one you described struck a nerve, and you took it personally. But there is no specific reference to anyone in my post, either.

It's a perfect example of how easy it is to think someone is talking about you.

Quote:
If you care to read what I wrote, I simply stated that discussions about "using theory" or not don't end up well because "using theory" can mean so many things.

That characterization does not jibe with what you said-

"And then you've got the "artists" -- players of various skill levels who will use every possible connection between theory and whatever vague concept comes through their mind to impress the crowd or justify their work."

Quote:
Your intervention was a total misjudgement on your part and I think you should take it back.
Ah, so when you post you are "simply stating", but when I post I am "intervening". That sounds bad ! But I thought you had to have a bunch of people to do an intervention ? That's always been my experience.