View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
This is more a curiosity question than anything else. I saw a few pics of guitars being played through pickup systems at the Healdsburg concerts. I personally don't mind the sound and color of a GOOD signal chain through a PA when I hear live acoustic music. Normally, that is. But I would think this wouldn't be happening at the Healdsburg live shows. Seems like the shows were played in acoustically capable rooms, so I'm just wondering why these guitars weren't mic'd with good quality [transparent] mics - to showcase the natural color/nuance/tonal characteristics of the actual guitars being played. For customers to note differences, etc. If the rooms just weren't that acoustically conducive for mic'ing guitars, I could understand.

Was there a particular reason these guitars weren't mic'd?

I have a need to know such things.
That's a very, very good question, especially given the venue.

I spent many years amplifying acoustic guitars, and in fact I put my first sound board transducer on a guitar in 1970, so I've been at this for a while.

Eventually I realized that the point of my playing live was to be actively listened to, as opposed to my being able to rise above the din with brute volume capabilities.

To that end I reached the conclusion that I would only play on mic (guitar and vocals) in venues where there was active listening, ie house concerts, etc.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/