View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Flat tops do not sound like archtops. They do different things. I use an oval hole archtop for a many styles but the sound envelope is still different from my Martin dread or Goodall concert.

For those that have distinct preferences for whatever reason, that's fine. But what is 'better' depends on the music being play and the musician playing it.
Those who claim that archtops are genre-specific don't seem to get it. They're far more versatile than people give them credit for. If played properly, a good acoustic archtop can sound very much like a good flat top. The reverse is not true.

Oval hole archtops can sound cool, but they are generally brighter and have less bass response. Therefore they are not as versatile, and should therefore be relegated to specific tasks where an "archtop sound" is appropriate. I contend that a good acoustic archtop with f-holes, if played with the proper finesse, can sound as good or better than a flat top in virtually any musical scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
For those that have distinct preferences for whatever reason, that's fine. But what is 'better' depends on the music being play and the musician playing it.
Just speaking for myself, in any situation that requires a steel sting acoustic guitar, I feel more comfortable with an archtop in my hands regardless of what type of music I'm playing.