View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM

You got many recommendations for the Red-Eye preamp to match with K&K pickup here. From my experience I can confirm that the Red Eye is a very good, clean preamp, to my ears better than others I tried.

That said, it's not like this preamp will solve all your problems to get more natural sound from your K&K pickup equipped guitar.

In my case I noticed that putting new strings is an important factor (I know, it's obvious but I'm sharing my experience) to improve the sound.

What made a massive difference for me is not the Red-Eye but Zoom MS50G multi-effect pedal. It has 1MOhm input and 172 effects you can choose from.
So what I do is engage on the MS50G a few effects and the most important is a graphic EQ and a parametric EQ. The first, lets me shape the overall sound and the second address problems like 'quakiness'. And as others mentioned it needs a cut or two in the middle range - where exactly, it depends on the guitar, strings and PA/amp you run it through.
I also add some compression and a bit of ambience (the air effect). Sometimes a like to use an exciter modelled after the BBE effects.

The bottom line is it's not as much as a preamp helped me to achieve a better sound but a right amount of EQ.