View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Busking amp: Crate Taxi or Roland Cube Street?

I saw a guy busking with a Crate Taxi 15 last weekend and I thought I'd LOVE to get a battery powered amp for busking--one with a vocal and instrument channel. I thought the Taxi sounded good (he played nylon string, so that's what I heard, while I play steel string acoustic). Having looked around it seems to me the best candidates are the Crate or the Roland Cube Street (other than AER's battery amp, which is way, way over my budget--or Carvin's StageMate, which is bulkier than I want).

Any comments/experience based on comparing these two models? I have never seen or heard the Cube Street, but its design seems like it was designed for busking--nice controls and I could add a little reverb (I don't care about the amp modeling features). My concerns with this one is that it seems underpowered (5 watts total) and I wish it had a built in rechargeable battery (like the Crate Taxi) but I could just use rechargeable AA's I suppose. My concern with the Crate is that it doesn't have any reverb and has less to offer in the way of controls, but I kind of like its Zen simplicity.

I appreciate your comments!