View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
Hi! This weekend I decided to adjust the saddle on my guitar. I don't play classical music, I use the nylon guitar for fingerpicking.

I had some spare bone saddle pieces and I've decided to use wood shimmings to mess around the height while having the "partial" bone saddle on top. I finally settled with 3.5mm on the bass and 2.5mm on the treble at the 12th fret (both E strings, of course). I also liked having 4mm on the bass and 3mm on the trebles.

Just for an experiment, I installed the bone saddle without the wood shimming underneath it, and got a hair over 2.5mm on the bass and 2mm treble, 12th fret.

To my amazement, the guitar plays without buzz! Except if I dig in... It's strung with Daddario nylons, normal tension.

I'd really like anyone to chip in with some opinions and ideas about that. I got really surprised and loved the feel of the guitar like this. Yes, I eventually get buzzing, but no more than I got before anyway. If I pluck the strings hard, I get a "snap" which actually sounds good, making the guitar more percussive and brighter, especially the trebles.

Question is: does anyone have/had a nylon with such a low action? I confess I don't know what's going on, when I installed the saddle without the shimming, I was expecting buzz all around, which didn't happen. I'd like to know why it works!
I love low action on any guitar, included nylon strings, I don't care if it buzzes a bit, as you say it adds some percussive flavor. Comfort matters more than anything else IMO, you shouldn't have to fight against the guitar. Low action allows a relaxed playing, here's my Cordoba Fusion Maple 14 crossover, settled with pretty low action, it's a joy to play

Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook