View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Many of the songs will have the chords but not the picking pattern on fingerstyle songs and I'm not good enough to make that leap yet.

So, just curious if there are other resources out there or services where you can pay for a video tutorial on songs? Or other ways you all learn new songs on your own?
This is what you need: https://www.seventhstring.com/

Don't let anyone tell you it's cheating - you're still using your ear, and anyway who cares? You need to learn the song!

When I began in this game (51 years ago) - before the internet!! before computers!!! before tab even!!!! - I was lucky enough to have access to an open reel tape deck with two speeds. I could play a recording back at half-speed - an octave lower of course, but that was OK. That machine was clunky and expensive - and that was all it could do. Now cheap software slows down any amount you like without changing the pitch, and does way more too. (Transcribe is free for a month anyway, you can't lose.)

I probably use Transcribe at least twice a day, often just for checking short excerpts of songs. Normally - because my ear is way better now than 50 years ago - I can guess pretty well by ear without it, but I like to be sure.

I do still sometimes check net tab, e.g., if a song seems to be in an unusual tuning I can't work out, or if I want an initial sketch of the approximate chords that I can then confirm for myself. It does happen that I find net tab that's more accurate than I can get it, but it's pretty rare. (If you're a fan of Dylan, Joni Mitchell or Nick Drake, then there are dedicated sites with very good tab.)