View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Great question. You could certainly use tape to assess. My experience is that tape does not degrade or reduce the sound level very much at all (which is contrary to the commonly expressed idea).

Over the years, I had a lot of installs (from my guitar tech) where I started with 3 K&K discs, then evaluated by careful listening to see if I felt the high E was weaker. In every case it was immediately obvious that is was weak (for 7 or so guitars). Then we added a fourth disc and all was well. That's why I decided to add the fourth disc right off the bat to the Ultra Tonic.

I have heard of folks being satisfied with three, both friends and through AGF, but I never personally experienced it. So that's why I wrote the instruction guide suggesting folks evaluate before committing to 4.
Thanks for the reply. I have never been a fan of gluing the K & K discs in a guitar. I would likely have them in more guitars if it wasn't for the glue in installation.

Have you tried your new pick up system with a tape installation, no glue? I think if you could provide a working tape only installation, people would be interested. I know I would, even if it required a Tone Dexter to strengthen, or clean up, or whatever you want to call it, the pickup system.

If I wanted to try it, do you have a tape you would recommend?