View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Questions for experienced archtoppers...

Hi All,

I posted recently in the general forum, and now I'm looking for more specific archtop advice. I'll bypass the long guitar-geek reasoning. In short, I am looking to add another guitar to my stable for more difficult acoustic gigs (outdoors in the cold, high stress gigs, etc.). I want it to play EASY, like an electric with a low action. I have an ESP TL-6 hybrid (like the Taylor T5) which is almost exactly what I want, but I play sitting down and the body is too small and the neck is too long and narrow. (As are ALL other hybrids I've seen/tried.) My questions are, if I can find a semi-hollow or an archtop with the right body and neck specs I'm looking for, will I be able to:

a) get the playability set up similar to a T5 or an electric, with low action, ease-of-play, etc.?

b) get an acceptable "acoustic" sound for coffeehouse material... meaning, I realize archtops are more designed for blues and jazz, but I'm hoping to tweak the sound more toward a flat top. Does not have to be perfect, just acceptable. If possible, how would I do this? Add a piezo? Use an acoustic simulator like the Boss AC-3?

c) Should I lean toward a semi-hollow vs a hollowbody, or does it matter?

FYI - I do not use a pick. I fingerpick or thumb-strum. I have a light touch and don't generate a lot of string oscillation (which would require a higher action).

Thanks for any advice! I have LITTLE-TO-NO experience with semi-hollows or hollow bodies, hence my questions for you all.

--Jim
2009 Ibanez AS73B w/Piezo