Thread: Deal Killer?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 04:17 AM

It depends on what system you use. You can always install a Fishman SOnicore system. The only modification to your guitar that is needed is widening the endpin hole to 1/2", (or you can drill a new 1/2" hole underneath the strap pin if you'd rather) , drilling a small hole under the bridge saddle for the piexo wire, and that's it. The pre-amp mounts to the inside of the soundhole with adhesive, and the battery pack mounts inside the body with velcro. You access the Volume and Tone controls at the soundhole. Nothing is visible from outside the guitar. Installation takes around 20 minutes, if you have the right tools. And, they sound great. I have 2, mounted in my Martin USA DX1, and my Recording King Dirty Thirty Dreadnaught 12-string. You can't tell there is a pickup system mounted in them. A lot of Martins come with this system installed.

As far as reliablility, I have never had a Fishman, or LR Baggs system go out on me, and some of mine are over 20 years old. All I have ever had to do is change batteries. And I have been gigging 3 - 5 times per week for the last 30 years. I am a busker.

Another option, if you don't want to mount a pickup permanenetly, is LR Baggs incredilble MA1 active soundhole pickup. I use one on my Martin D-16 Mahogany, because I did not want to cut holes in it. The sound rivals that of the Fishman Presys 301 system. They have a new one that supposed to be even better, called the M-80, but I haven't played or heard it live, yet. It sounds great on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Although both my 'L' series Yamahas have pickups fitted they are discrete passive systems with no onboard knobs, pre-amps or visible signs, other than the endpin jack, that the guitar is anything other than a pure acoustic. For my taste it's the aesthetics (or lack of), of active systems which I find off-putting, and a definite deal-breaker. Sensible practicality aside they just look wrong, but I absolutely get why they are useful.