View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
has not yet been discussed...spkrs and cabs are a huge factor...thus have an assortment of alnico/ceramic spkrs in 4", 6", 8" 10" and 12's. If you want a cranked Champ, without the volume, do a 4" or 6"...if you want loud clean do a high efficiency 2x12.
Ah ha! Perhaps I shot myself in the foot way back in 1975 when I replaced the 8" Jensen in my Silver Face Champ with a 10" JBL K-110. And then, just recently, when I replaced the JBL with a 10" Weber Vintage.

Looks like I've made it necessary for me to play even louder now to achieve a particular level of overdrive from the Champ. Thinking back to 1975, when I replaced the 8" Jensen with the 10" JBL, I probably was trying to get a cleaner sound with the Champ, as I was using it while teaching guitar in a music store. Fast forward to today, I'm not sure just what my motivation was to do that back then. That seems like a different lifetime for me now.

Perhaps I need to put together a small cab with a 4" or 6" speaker in it, and drive it with my Champ. Any suggestions on that?

I never thought of going with a smaller speaker to achieve that tone at low volumes.

Last edited by DHart; 08-26-2017 at 06:41 PM.