View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Progressive string tension

I ran across this idea on an other forum geared to electric players. The concept is to have string tension gradually increasing from the high e to the low E. Most of the standard sets have large tension jumps between strings, and the B and low E are usually floppier than the others. Anyway, I ordered a few single strings and tried it on an electric--and it works. Really feels great. I used the string tension chart from D'Addario and came up with .11, .15, .19, .28, .38 and .52. The basic change from standard sets seems to mean a heavier B, G and low E.

Has anyone ever tried this on an acoustic, or do any manufacturers have sets that follow this idea? As far as I can tell, the standard light and medium sets are all over the map, tension-wise. I've been looking at the D'Addario chart again and have come up with .12, .16, .22, .30, .42 and .59 (would be roughly the same for any string material). A set starting at .13 would be .13, .18, .24, .32, .45 and .62. The .59 and .62 seem like they would be hard to find, as most manufacturers seem to stop at .56.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this and how it worked out before I started ordering strings. I have to say that it made a noticeable positive effect on my electrics.