View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Interesting that Julian and his Somogyi classmate Leo Buendia both tend to make long headstocks. Long and very pretty.
Brian, it's just gorgeous; I know you're excited. There appear to be a number of similarities between your Gaffney and the guitar Leo Buendia is building for me, as should be expected.

Regarding the final headstock (not shown in the most recent photos), can we assume there were no changes in its proportions from the photos you've already shown us in post #10?

Rogthefrog, Leo offers a number of headstock shapes one can find at his website for clients to select from, but the design element in all of them that seems to serve as the Buendia 'signature' is his use of a decorative wedge, which may contain a contrasting accent wood or geometric design. As a 'design guy' myself, I admire this choice for the flexibility it affords to customize the headstock shape on request for a client while retaining the characteristic feature that marks it as a Buendia.

Of the other Somogyi apprentices, Kostal has come up with his own unique headstock profile, while others like Kraut, Sands and Gaffney seem to favor more traditional shapes, but with characteristic 'notches' in a distinctive pattern as their signature.