View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
No problem. I was much the same as you when I started out. I quite liked the comical sound of 1920s jazz, but modern jazz was just a baffling noise to me, a private club I had no wish to join.
Much later I happened to meet some pro jazz musicians (and play with one or two of them), whose music (live) blew me away more than old jazz records ever did; then I went to jazz workshops and summer schools, read about it... And I STILL wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of jazz in general.
But I have noticed that it's always way better live than it is on record. I guess you can say that for most music, but it seems particularly so for jazz. It tends to sound dry and dull on recordings; too intellectual, or too cheesy, or too cute. But even the cheesiest old jazz comes alive when it's being played in front of you. And some contemporary jazz will just blow you away like no rock ever will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R990oiRxy6U
- if jazz had been like that when I was a teenager, my life would have been very different....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rveiwBEOT6o
(love the guy scratching his head at 0:56 )
- and this is jazz too, like I never heard it back then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svzv-YkUzdk
Still - YMMV, and that's normal .
Ya, I'm not a big fan of that sort stuff. I like the first one the most though out of those. Reminds me a little of medeski martin and wood. Some of their songs I find are pretty cool But I'm not a big fan of most of it. It just, doesn't move me. You know what I mean? doesn't make me feel like "dancing".

Quote:
Again, fair enough.
I hear him using chromatic slides down (like Jimi did only more so).
To me, that's a half-interesting mix of interesting musical ideas and guitar pyrotechnics (which interest me not at all).
Here's what I'd use to begin to answer that:
http://www.seventhstring.com/
- so I suggest you download that (it's free for a month's trial).

You can record streaming audio directly into the program (that's what I'd do), or you can download and convert the youtube (needs other software, takes a little longer) if you want to work with the video too.
What do you mean "pyrotechnics"?

Ya, transcribe was suggested to me by someone else. The last time I saw it in action was quite a while ago now, so I suspect it has improved, but I'm still a bit skeptical that it will be able to handle this sort of thing.

Quote:

Just from an initial listen I'd say he's extending those chromatic chord ideas into chromatic arpeggios on the faster sections - but I can't be sure.
he definitely does that in the slower sections also.

Quote:
If you can specify a particular time reference in the video, I don't mind examining several seconds-worth of licks here and there for you, but I'm not about to transcribe the whole thing, I don't have the time (or inclination).
Thanks I'll let you know if I get into any issues. Hopefully I'll find something cool and be able to transcribe it, and apply it in other situations nicely, or learn something from it. As you can tell, I'm pretty picky when it comes to stuff like this. I might use this to figure out some Tommy emmanuel blues stuff also, if it works out.

Quote:
Posts 34, 50 and (in particular) 61 dealt with it. Sorry if it's not the answer you want, but I don't know how else to answer it.
I read 61, and it is more than that I think. That sound may have come from african tribes, that's possible. But, it just sounds great.

I feel there must be some sort of theory explanation as to why this different scale, that uses notes outside of the chords, and the key, works so nicely all the way through the progression.

You take any other ethinic sound like arabic or something, and if that layered on top of some chord progression that was diatonic to a key, and for which that ethnic tune sounds great over, and is not diatonic to the key, then I would expect it would need the same reasoning.

It might be a special case, but I feel like there must be a theory explanation for it. And that might be useful in snippets, if I can recognize that to happen for a short time through a progression, and then maybe another short time, with a different pentatonic or something.