Thread: pleking
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerstile View Post
Perhaps, but also because it's far more precise than fret-dressing done by hand (see above!).

As an added benefit, the PLEK process reduces injuries for workers. Richard Hoover of SCGC says that using PLEK machines prevent repetitive overuse injuries that occur when fret-dressing is done by hand.
The PLEK certainly has advantages in a high production factory setting, Martin for example.

Beyond that I see two commendable aspects of the PLEK. One is the worker issues you noted. If it prevents repetitive motion injuries for routine work, that is wonderful. The consistency and repeatability for specific clients as Mike noted with TJ Thompson is another. However, that is fairly rare, as I suspect most PLEK setups are not undertaken in that context.

That said, I am equally certain that a good setup man can do at least as well as a PLEK. The first guitar that really changed my view of what a setup could be was a D-18GE setup by Bryan Kimsey. That was about 15 years ago. The other notable "best playing" guitars I own my early Authentics setup by Dave Strunk when he was at Martin, and more recently my Klepper SSD. None of those needed anything after they landed in my hands. I cannot find a single flaw in the fretwork, relief, or nut setup. If anyone wanted to change the action height all that is needed is saddle adjustment, which would have to be done with PLEK as well. Neither it nor your favorite repairman can determine action preference.

However, none of that negates the benefits of the PLEK noted above.