View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger29
Would you say that the rosewood is more consistent in tone than koa? Does this apply to EIR, coco, madrose, and braz as well? Which would you say is the most consistent... There's been much talk about inconsistencies and finding 'dogs'
Well, if the extent of grain pattern variation is any indication, I'd expect Indian rosewood to be the most consistent. I think all tone woods are subject to a lot of variation. I've had luthiers tell me that identical guitars made from wood from the same tree and from adjacent cuts had a distinctly different tone. The good news is that Taylors have a reputation for greater consistency.

I prefer to buy guitars after I've played them yet if I were ordering one, and sooner or later I will order an R. Taylor or a Taylor 12-string, I'd choose the wood that appeals to me the most based on typical tonal characteristcs and not on the basis of what anectodal evidence suggests is the wood with the least variation in tone. Furthermore, there are other variables that at least partially account for tonal differences between otherwise identical guitars.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 08-09-2006 at 02:52 PM.