View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Homan View Post
Lots of good thoughts here. I second the consensus that heavier string gauge is at best a trade-off.

BTW, more volume in what situation? Playing for your own satisfaction? To accompany a singer? A group of singers? Playing with other instruments? Performing unplugged?

If it's playing for your own enjoyment, then the suggestion of playing in a smaller room, or a room without wall-to-wall carpet or an "acoustic" ceiling is a very good one. I love taking my guitars around to different rooms.

To the suggestions of playing nearer the soundhole and adding fingerpicks or a heavier flatpick, I would throw in just learning to hit the strings harder with whatever. About twelve years ago, in a workshop, I heard Tuck Andress answer a question about his superior tone by saying, "You pretty much bludgeon the guitar." My accuracy suffered at first as I began trying to take bigger strokes, but I got it back and it payed-off.
Unplugged mine sounds louder when playing toward a set of wood doors and simply fabulous next to the redwood siding on my deck. It's amazing.

Agree number one method is pick choice. An acrylic pick like Gravity or V-pick (or other stiff hard picks) will bump the volume up considerably.