Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd3r View Post
ive been trying to learn guitar for awhile but ive been wondering

what is the beggining?
what is lesson 1?
were should i start to learn?
what should i learn 1st?
practice 1st?
Those are great questions that are difficult for anyone else to give you definitive answers to.

I can only relate when and how my playing guitar evolved.

what is the beggining?

The beginning for me was at the exact moment I decided that I wanted to learn how to play guitar. That moment was in 1963 when I was 14 years old. I had already been playing drums since the age of 8, being tutored by drummer Ronnie Gardener who was considered to be amongst the top 15 drummers in the U.S., but I still had the sound of guitars ringing in my head. It's more than likely that The Beatles had something to do with that and because my dad was a really really good guitar player from the southern Virginia and he played a "Chet Atkins" style of guitar, banjo, mandolin and any other instrument that had strings on it.

One day I asked him if he could teach me how to play guitar and he said, "No".

I couldn't believe that my dad (someone who good enough a player to be playing bluegrass on live radio programs when he was only 15 years) wasn't interested in helping me begin learning.

When I asked, "Why not?", his answer was that no one had taught him and he didn't see any reason why he should teach me.

I was pissed off at him for years after that, but I was determined that with or with his help I would learn something about guitar playing (on my own).

My dad suffered a stroke in 1968 and was never able to play guitar again. The tables had suddenly turned and it was now my turn to play for him. He listened, never said much, but he gave me affirmative nods of approval until he passed away in 1981.

what is lesson 1?
^See above^
Lesson 1 is taking your desire to learn into your own hands.

were should i start to learn?
With a teacher (if you can afford the cost of private lessons).

what should i learn 1st?
Everything and anything about the individual parts that make a guitar what it is and how all those parts relate to each other. In other words, get to know your instrument.

practice 1st?[/QUOTE]
Learning string identification, standard tuning, basic chords, and learning how to play the first of your favorite songs on a guitar.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Good luck and don't give up!