View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Dump the drummer and get a bassist

Hey, I sing in a very similar band, with similar music in similar venues: me on acoustic guitar/vox, a bassist, and another guy on harmonica...with friends sitting in on guitar etc.

Although we know some great drummers, I've made a conscious choice to avoid playing with drums as I know that just inherently takes the volume up past what anyone wants to hear in the small and even intimate venues we play. ...this was true with a previous band I played with -- keys/vox, acoustic, and me on mellow electric -- when that band incorporated drums, suddenly everything became to "big" for coffee shops, restaurants etc. What I'd really like to find is someone who'd just play brushes on a snare and high hat...ah, someday....

Of course ditching band members isn't really usually an alternative.

I've tried small acoustic amps (Fishman Loudbox 100) and have experimented with 10" PA speakers, but in the end I always really miss the fullness of a 12" speaker. I have not tried an AER amp, however, or the Bose stuff, and someday would love to give that eqpt a spin...but till then setting up a couple 12" PA speakers, one a foot behind my left ear, really seems to fill a space without blasting anyone away.

Where exactly in WA are you? I'm in Moscow, Idaho.

td