View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM

I've played a couple of Eastman E20-OM's and several E10-OM's. I personally preferred the tone of the mahogany E10's, which just seemed prettier to me, but the E20 rosewoods seemed like fine guitars too. Both had a deep throbbing bass, nice mids, and sparkly trebles, although the balance of both kinds of guitars seemed bass heavy in balance. The rosewood models seemed a bit nasal, and the mahoganyy models seemed sweeter to me. Your taste may vary from mine though. Note that I tend to like both mahognay and rosewood guitars, but I didn;t care for the rosewood tone in the Eastman E20's.

The guitars all seemed well made, the adirondack tops all seemd very nice with the characteristic tight grain in the center and wider grain at the edges of the top. They all had great resonance and responsiveness. Also they all had good setups. I tried tham out at two different shops - one rosewood and 2 hogs at one, and one rosewood and 3 hogs at the other. They had great consistency, I thought. Playability seemed to be the same across the board, and ther tonality consistent too for the hogs and for the rosewoods.

They have a very different balance from Taylor guitars, however (I noticed you have a quiver of Taylor's). They are more bass heavy than the Martin OM's I've played, to give you an idea of where they are in the tonal spectrum. They have some nice treble sparkle too, but they are much nearer to the Martin tonal end of the spectrum, while having their own distinct signature sound. That's one of the thing I like about the Eastmans - a consistent signature sound.

Last edited by LoMa; 03-06-2011 at 09:45 PM.